Hey guys, For the first tutorial on EdTech.tv I couldn’t imagine anything more fitting than actually taking you through how to build your own blog. These days it’s really easy. You can have your own website up and running in less than five minutes (but to be safe, for a first time you should be generous with yourself and do it in 10-15). If you’re on a lunch break, go ahead and watch this video I created for you on how to make a blog:
To be honest there are a LOT of services you can use for hosting and domain services. The problem is that for a lot of people, their head starts to get that feeling as soon as I start talking about “hosting” and “domain services” and all the other stuff that really isn’t important. That’s why I suggested an all-in-one package in the video. If you’re coming back and prefer to read a basic walk through instead of watching the video, here it is:
- Sign up with Bluehost * and register your domain name.
- Sign up for whatever plan fits into your budget.
- Don’t worry about any of the upselling – it’s not important, at least not right now.
- DO probably get the feature called “WHOIS Privacy” – That way people can’t look up your address and phone number if you don’t want them to.
- Log into C-Panel
- Scroll down to “Site Builder”
- Choose WordPress from the script list and install a new version
- Fill out the info as you want it
- Skip any plugins or themes for now
- Click “Complete” – it will build your blog in the background
- Go to www.yoursite.com/wp-admin and fill in the login and password
- You will be taken to the dashboard – Make your first post!
In a future tutorial we’ll talk about redesigning your site, making it prettier/appropriate to your audience, and the plugins you might want. One more thing: I’m giving you permission to play around in WordPress. Click the buttons, make mistakes, accidentally erase things. Remember, you didn’t have a site before, so anything you’re doing now is INFINITELY BETTER!!
If you’re ready, let’s do it!
[button link=”http://www.edtech.tv/bluehost” size=”large”]I want to Make My Blog Now![/button]
* EdTech.tv uses affiliate programs for trusted and useful services and products in order to keep costs down and motivation up! If you feel uncomfortable using the links to support EdTech.tv, there are no hard feelings :) Please know that the services and products still have our full vote of confidence with or without affiliation.